The presence of a vaginal odor is always embarrassing for a woman. It will not only affect the woman’s general and overall health, but it can also affect her self-esteem and confidence. Vagina is an important aspect of a woman’s life considering that it is essential in giving healthy birth, healthy marriage, and relationship. So what happens now if you have vaginal odor then? Can you still get rid of this awful and stressful condition? Yes, you can. There are different natural remedies to get rid of vaginal odor. Here are five that can truly help.
Vaginal odor is a condition that gives off a foul odor coming from a woman’s vagina. Though it is normal to have a slight odor since it serves as an opening to the inside of your body, a strong and persistent “fishy” vaginal smell may mean that there is a serious underlying problem which you need to treat.
This vaginal odor is also often accompanied by other symptoms such as a burning sensation with incessant itchiness as well as the presence of vaginal discharge.
Common Causes Of Vaginal Odor
There are many causes of vaginal odor that women must be aware of. These causes include but not limited to:
- Menstruation. Menstruation is probably the most common reason why vaginal odor occurs especially if you have a poor hygiene and if you engage in sexual acts during that time of the month. Some are using chemical douche to suppress the odor, but experts do not recommend using such because it can cause bacterial infection by disrupting your body’s natural pH level.
- Sweat accumulation. Sweat glands are present in your vaginal area as well. An accumulation of sweat on your vaginal area may cause it t develop a bad odor. Hence, it is important that you maintain proper hygiene to clean off this accumulated sweat.
- Sexual acts. Sexual activities can lead to the development of vaginal odor especially if you are allergic to bedroom products used. The presence of semen in your vagina can also alter the pH level causing it to emit a foul odor. Sexually transmitted diseases are also leading factors as to why women emit a strong fishy odor, and this will obviously need proper treatment.
- Changes in the hormones. Hormonal changes during menstruation, pregnancy, and menopause will cause vaginal odor with a bad-smelling watery discharge. To help treat this, there are topical creams available through prescription.
- Watch out what you eat as this can also cause some vaginal discharges and odor too. Spicy foods with lots of chilies and peppers may increase your vaginal discharge, and this will, in turn, increase the odor associated with it. Other foods suggested by a research study that increases vaginal odor occurrence include broccoli, blue cheese, cabbage, garlic, onion, and fish.
5 Natural Remedies To Get Rid Of Vaginal Odor
Here are 5 amazing ways to keep that filthy odor off from you:
1. Citrus Fruits
Citrus fruits help your body fight off infections more effectively as well as prevent vaginal odor. These fruits are rich in an immune booster vitamin, Vitamin C, and are helpful in the removal of harmful toxins already present in the body.
Once you develop a strong immune system, your body will be able to fight harmful bacteria that may cause vaginal odor. These fruits will also help you prevent urinary tract infection too. To increase your citrus food intake, you can simply add these fruits to your daily diet: grapes, sweet lime, lemons, oranges, cranberries, pineapples, grapefruits, and other citruses.
2. Baking Soda
Baking soda. Baking soda helps balance the pH level in your body which can fight off the bad smell in your vaginal area. Once you have controlled and maintained a normal pH level, the vaginal odor will start to fade.
- Mix ½ cup baking soda to your bathwater.
- Soak your lower body for 20 minutes.
- Dry yourself well using a clean towel. This will get rid of the odor quickly as well as fight off a yeast infection.
3. Apple Cider Vinegar
ACV is rich in antibacterial and antiseptic properties that are useful in fighting off vaginal odor. One of the simplest ways and best natural remedies to get rid of vaginal odor is to take a bath using apple cider vinegar since it will help fight off the different toxins and bacteria that are already present on your body. It will also aid in the restoration of the acidic quality in your vaginal area.
- Mix 2 cups ACV in a warm bath.
- Soak yourself in this water for 20 minutes before rinsing.
- Do this procedure several times a week for best and faster results.
- Mix 1-2 tbsp ACV in a glass of water and drink daily.
Yogurt is also useful in treating vaginal odor because it contains lactobacillus bacteria which can fight off candida infection. Candida infection is also one of the most common causes of vaginal odor. Moreover, this component of yogurt is helpful in restoring the normal pH level in the vagina to remove the bad odor.
- Indulge yourself with 2 cups of unsweetened and plain yogurt daily.
- Soak a tampon in plain yogurt and insert it into your body through your vagina.
- Leave it there for a few hours.
- After removing the tampon, make sure that you rinse the area thoroughly.
5. Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil has anti-fungal and antiseptic properties that can get rid of the unpleasant vaginal odor. It also helps kill the bacteria that may aggravate the odor problem.
- Mix 3 drops of tea tree oil in a cup of water.
- Rinse your vaginal area using this solution daily or several times a week for best and faster results.
- Get a tampon and dip it in olive oil.
- Add a few drops of tea tree oil in it.
- Insert the tampon into your vagina.
- Let it stay for at least 1 hour.
- Repeat this procedure some times weekly.